Monday, November 22, 2010

Diversity Fail


I love the fine folks at Corporate Knights, I do. However, something jumped out at me while viewing pictures from the recent publicity around the Corporate Knight Cleantech 10(tm) TSX event -  the dearth of female and non-white faces in the photos.


I recognize this mostly lies well outside the hands of CK - they serve as a messenger for CSR and Enterprise sustainability, not the direction of it - but it still serves as a signal all isn't well in Corporate-Canada - even Green Corporate Canada. Granted, just prior to seeing this image, I had read an article on the search for female authority in university classrooms, another about the 30-year anniversary of women winning the right to serve as firefighters (spoiler: it's still not easy being recognised), a rather superficial post on Big Think about Women in Finance, and, most applicable, a succinct Business Week article addressing the issue of Why There Are So Few Women in Tech. So maybe I was primed to notice this wee gender (and race) imbalance when I got around to reading this particular post.

I'm not going to address the deep and challenging issue of diversity in Corporate Canada on this wee post (though I do have a lovely presentation on the topic) - but I will humbly point out the ad that appeared on the same page as the Corporate Knight Cleantech 10(tm)  image...


Update: the folks at Corporate Knights also noticed the issue of diversity at this event and an "article in upcoming issue will ask why [the] green movement lacks [diversity]"
.You can check out their most recent  report of diversity in Corporate Canada here. Or, for fun times with spreadsheets, download a spreadsheet with all the companies within the index and count the "0.00%" until your eyes bleed.



No comments:

Post a Comment