Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Cooling rack revision



Being the instructables junkie that I am, I recently came across as posting for a Floating Multi-Use Wall Storage device. I was immediately attracted to the project, and decided that I would undertake the construction of one such device for the storage of my "jewelry", which otherwise occupied a lonely spot in a basket under the bathroom sink. Not the best location to display the general sort of accoutrement prone to dandies.

I did not have any 1/4" hardware cloth - the sort of thing you might use for molding cement, in my experience, nor did I want to go out an acquire such a thing for the purposes of this project. Instead, I used a forlorn cooling rack that had not seen the light of day since it became relatively easy to find vegan baked goods around town. I had to use slightly larger washers given the spacing on my rack, and lag bolts rather than screws, for aesthetic reasons. I think the rod coupling nuts (5/16"-18 x 7/8"), really make this work both visually and functionally.



And Voila! This was an incredibly easy project, and honestly, I find it an elegant, if not somewhat unconventional,addition to my dressing chambers. For the smaller objects, such as label pins, I glued a few magnets behind some thick, pin-able material and stuck that onto the rack.


I actually don't really have enough "jewelery" to make full use of the space now available to me. I suppose I will now have to undertake some tie pin and cuff-link making projects....

No comments:

Post a Comment