Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Paint Can spot light.



Upon moving into my new flat a few years a go, I undertook the fairly typical process of repainting the whole place. Lucky for me, it being a small flat, this only took a few cans of paint (I used Ben Moore's EcoSpec, which has no VOCs) and a few friends. At the end of the day, I was left with a number of empty paint cans and a sense that there was something more that could be done with them than simply dropping them off at the local EcoCentre for recycling.

I was presented with the additional challenge of adequately lighting a beautiful piece of sculptural work that I had just purchased from a friend of mine, Stephen Kawai. That's how I came to create the paint can spot light.

I'm a fan of the "as is section" of Ikea. Often you can find bags of random light fixtures. I like to buy those bags and therefore always have a few random light fixtures in my craft closet. Lamp making is a fun little past time, and a fairly common way to make use of old materials.

After cleaning and spray-painting one of the paint cans, I drilled a hole in the side of the can and placed a white GRUNDTAL fixture at the bottom of it. This is commonly used as a kitchen counter-top spotlight.



On the whole, it's pretty basic, but it works really well. I have a few more cans and ideas for how to make them into neat light fixtures. Another day, another craft project, another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment