Sunday, January 23, 2011

Open doors for little paws.

This week was cold. I say that as a Canadian born in Northern Ontario and raised in Montreal. I've seen some cold days and weeks - and this past week was no exception. So on a late night walk home a few days ago, when I noticed, through the slit of space between the rim of my parka's hood and the top of my scarf, two kittens in a snow bank, my heart sunk. This kind of weather must be really hard on the animals that call the streets "home". It's been estimated that Montreal has about 1.6 million stray cats - and here were a few of the newest, most vulnerable cohort.

By the next night, they were in my bathroom, huddled in a corner - entirely due to the persistence of my partner, who, with great patience and daring had scooped them up just before the temperature dropped yet again. Her hands are a little worse for wear, but we both feel better knowing they are off the street and out of the cold. We are working to get them habituated to human contact - which is clearly a bit of a novelty, just like the regular meals they greedily lap up from our hands. We won't be keeping them, but will give them over to someone willing to but the time and resources necessary to get them comfortable as house cats.    

They are pretty sweet kitties and have already come a long way. If you know a responsible someone looking for a furry friend, please drop me a line.




UPDATE: the kittens have a new home thanks to the power of the internet! Thanks interaction between Twitter and Blogger - you're awesome! And to the lovely couple who took in these two fuzz-balls, well, you're awesome too!

1 comment:

  1. If these kittens are still looking for a home, I'll gladly provide one for them!

    meaganblair@mail.com

    ReplyDelete