Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Valentines Day - you'll do.

This video never gets old to me. While I don't agree with all elements of psychologist Barry Schwartz's TED talk, it is compelling, and really worth contemplating - especially on such a commercial holiday such as Valentine's day.

I honestly think it's problematic to look for happiness in material objects. Perhaps it's the inevitable failure of the hunt for happiness in such objects that leads to the proliferation of them - if at first you don't succeed, try try again, I suppose. But I don't think people were more successful in finding satisfaction or happiness at an earlier time due to less choice, but rather perhaps they were not so distracted by material pursuits and were better to appreciate those things which did bring them a sense of well being or happiness - friends, family, purpose etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment