Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Get a grip: concrete lamp


I like making practical, fun stuff. For me, "practical, fun stuff" often comes in the form of homemade lamps, I'm not sure why. I understand that, stereotypically, architects have a thing for chair design, and while I can appreciate a well thought out chair, I swoon at clever lighting concepts. Once I discovered the bags of lighting fixtures commonly found for very little in the "As-Is" section of Ikea, my crafting life took on a new, brighter life. Perhaps this is why I never went ahead with architectural studies. Or maybe not - we may never know for sure.

This "fist" lamp was a project for a sculpture class I took some time ago. It involved casting my own left hand while holding  a lamp fixture. After casting my hand/arm using plaster bandages - it was a three-part mold - while holding the fixture, I poured concrete into the mold and let it set for a few days. I then placed the finished piece into a square form - a mold made from plastering a deep square stretcher frame - and poured a concrete base in which to support the hand and hide the wire from view. Embedded in both the fist and the base, is the wire of the lamp fixture - I hope I never have to rewire it.

Oh - the fun you can have with plaster bandages, some wiring and a large bag of concrete!

No comments:

Post a Comment